AW: [Mimedefang] SMTP error return after DATA?

Michael Sims michaels at crye-leike.com
Fri May 9 12:17:01 EDT 2003

Quoting Martin Bene <martin.bene at icomedias.com>:

> > I guess my problem is that all of my internal users use the primary
> > exchanger as their SMTP relay, but that's the way it's been for years, and
> > changing this means reconfiguring 1000+ desktops.
>
> Yes, that would have been the obvious answer - have an INTERNAL relay
> machine
> for the local users so they don't notice when the external server gets
> overloaded. Might be possible to change this without touching the clients;
> can you make the DNS server the clients use answer with the (new) address of
> an internal relay server?

All of the clients are configured to use the hostname of my domain's MX record
as their relay.  So to do this I'd have to point my MX at a different host.
But, that might not be a bad idea, I just had not considered it before...

> However I've found quite an efficient fix for this problem using iptables on
> linux: the "iplimit" iptables module allows you to restrict the number of
> concurrent connections to a service on a per host basis; I've set this to

That is a really good idea, thanks for posting the script!  My knowledge of
iptables is fairly limited, but I will definitely familiarize myself with it in
order to implement this...

Michael Sims
Project Analyst - Information Technology
Crye-Leike Realtors
Office: (901)758-5648  Pager: (901)769-3722