[Mimedefang] SMTP error return after DATA?

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Fri May 9 11:48:00 EDT 2003

On Fri, 9 May 2003, Michael Sims wrote:

> The only solution that I can think of is to have this exchanger relay to an
> internal dedicated MIMEDefang machine.

Why not change it so that your published MX record is a MIMEDefang machine
that relays to your existing mail server?  You can have the internal mail
server use the MIMEDefang box as a smarthost for outgoing mail.

So external mail comes into the MIMEDefang box and then gets relayed to
your existing server.  Internal users "in the know" use the existing box
to send mail.  If your public MX host tempfails Internet e-mail, that's
not a tragedy, because it doesn't affect internal users.