[Mimedefang] Re: Mimedefang daemons won't stop

Michael Sims michaels at mail3.crye-leike.com
Wed Mar 26 08:50:01 EST 2003

Quoting Ole Holm Nielsen <Ole.H.Nielsen at fysik.dtu.dk>:

> OK, so I copied redhat/mimedefang-init to /etc/rc.d/init.d/mimedefang
> and did a start then stop of the Mimedefang daemons.  An error is returned:
[snip]
> This is the killproc function in /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions
> returning an error.
>
> The usual 3 processes are left behind:
[snip]

I'm stumped.  Maybe David or someone else on the list has an idea.  You could
throw some debug lines inside /etc/rc.d/init.d/mimedefang
or /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions to see what is going on.  killproc() uses a
function called pidofproc(), perhaps it is not able to get the pid of
mimedefang-multiplexor for some reason...?

This is a bit of voodoo, but often when I am in situations like yours I find it
helpful to completely remove everything related to the software I'm having
problems with and start with a fresh installation.  If you haven't already
tried that you might want to consider it.

Michael Sims
Project Analyst - Information Technology
Crye-Leike Realtors
Office: (901)758-5648  Pager: (901)769-3722