[Mimedefang] bounces

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Thu Mar 20 20:45:01 EST 2003

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003, Paul wrote:

> I agree with the risks you state but this is a message generated by
> MD itself and maybe should be exempt from scanning?

No, that's not true.  MIMEDefang never generates a bounce message.
All it does is return a "554" SMTP error code.  That's it.

The generation of the bounce message is the responsibility of the sending
server.  Even if you set nobodyreturn (or whatever the option is) in your
local Sendmail, you can't force the sending relay not to generate a bounce
message.  (If you have control over all your local mail relays, though,
nobodyreturn might be a good option.)

The safest way to allow bounce messages through is to omit spam-scanning
for "local" messages, where "local" is determined by the IP address of
the relay.