[Mimedefang] mimedefang and trend micro's interscan viruswall

Xiaoyan Ma xma at haas.berkeley.edu
Fri Mar 7 00:37:00 EST 2003

Stephane:
Thank you so much for your help. A couple more questions:

>Hi,
>
>On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 11:05:57AM -0800, Xiaoyan Ma wrote:
> > I am installing mimedefang2.29 for the first time on a Solaris 8 box
> > running sendmail 8.12.8.  I run Trend Micro's Inter Scan Viruswall as
> virus
> > filter and SpamAssassin as spam filter.
>
>=> Latest MIMEDefang version is 2.30. Better installing this one if
>possible.

I am intimated by the discussion about 2.30 new features. I will upgrade
once I get the hang of it.

> > 1) If I run interscan trhough mimedefang, should I use the sendmail switch
> > version or the standard Solaris version?
>=> MIMEDefang uses only the /etc/iscan/vscan command from Trend Micro
>solutions. Installing the standard Interscan version is what most
>people do I guess (few people use Interscan Switch Edition).

I will try that.

> > 2) Should I be able to use interscan tools when running it through
> > mimedefang?
> >
>=> /etc/iscan/vscan doesn not write anything  in Trend's iscan logs by
>default. However the vscan command has a -l switch if you want to get
>some logging (but that would log some temporary paths information):
>root# /etc/iscan/vscan   -a -l/tmp/logvirus /directory
>i don't know if will solve your needs.
>Otherwise, you could try to write some code in your MIMEDefang filter to
>reproduce Interscan's standard logging.

Well, I don't have to have separate logs for vscan I guess, just want to
make sure it scans each file against the updated signature file.  I am
still learning to read logs generated by mimedefang.  I tried to use
local4.log, but didn't work.

Here is my syslog.conf entry:
local4.debug    /var/log/local4.log

mimedefang-filter entry: