[Mimedefang] Re: Too Many Open Files (again?)

Lucas Albers admin at cs.montana.edu
Thu Jun 19 13:32:00 EDT 2003

I lowered the timeouts on my system, because of dirty slow evil smtp
servers that would just not close the connection, or resolve ip addresses.
Before I did this I usually had 10-20 open stalled connections at a time.

Has not caused ANY problems on ANY connections since I implemented it 6
months ago.

Sample sendmail entries:

dnl this has never caused problems on mail delivery, it just removes
troublesome
dnl mailers (spammers that won't resolve ip or similar.)
define(`confTO_COMMAND',240s)dnl

dnl timeout on initial outgoing connection
define(`TimoutIconnect=30s')dnl

dnl other items I have configured.
define(`ConnectionRateThrottle',8')dnl limit number of connections per
second that are permitted.
define(`confBAD_RCPT_THROTTLE',`2')dnl limit spammers from trolling for
users on the system, reject all mail after 2 bad recipients.