[Mimedefang] Re: Too Many Open Files (again?)

Jeremy Mates jmates at sial.org
Thu Jun 19 01:36:01 EDT 2003

* Matlock , Justin <JMatlock at innotrac.com>
> What ended up happening, is these super-slow connections were opening
> tons of sockets, but those sockets were never closing.  Sendmail never
> timed out, because characters were being sent, just *very* slowly.

Sendmail has some very conservative timeout values such as Timeout.rcpt,
Timeout.datablock, and Timeout.datafinal being set to 1h by default.
However, I have not experimented with lowering any of them to
potentially avoid such problems as you are seeing.  With lower timeouts,
one would expect to see temporary failures and resend attempts rather
than slow starvation of resources?