[Mimedefang] SA's Bayes and AWL DB formats and MIMEDefang

Hannu Liljemark hannu.liljemark at laurea.fi
Thu Jun 19 07:28:01 EDT 2003

We've had Bayes and AWL working fine on bunch of systems that use
spamc/spamd (2.55) with postfix or sendmail+spamass-milter.

With MIMEDefang (2.33) + sendmail however, when SA (2.55) is used
from MIMEDefang with action_spam_assassin() it seems to create
the bayes_ and auto-whitelist as these bizarre .dir and .pag files
(with NDBM?) instead of files without any extension (with
DB_File).

The system is RH6.2, has the db3 rpms (BerkeleyDB 3.1.17) from
RH errata and perl 5.8.0, and I think there isn't anything wrong
in the system in that respect since I can use sa-learn and it creates
the files using DB_File.

I guess DB_File was the preferred way for the AWL and Bayes
databases, so I'm wondering what's up. All this seems to add some
confusion to the tools as e.g. spamassassin
--remove-addr-from-whitelist and sa-learn prefer DF_File but
MIMEDefang has created the DBs using NDBM.

Create initial DBs manually with SA's tools and MIMEDefang can't
access them. Let MIMEDefang create them and SA's tools will
create DBs of their own with DB_File :-)

Any bright ideas?

Thanks,

--
(Mr.) Hannu Liljemark  |  Appelsiini Finland Oy  |  http://appelsiini.com