[Mimedefang] Too Many Open Files (again?)

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Wed Jun 18 11:40:01 EDT 2003

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003, Joseph Brennan wrote:

> But what kind of message would require more than 256 open files
> to process?

The "mimedefang" process is multi-threaded, and uses a few descriptors
per message.  If you have more than 80 or so concurrent threads, you can
run out of descriptors.

> Doesn't this always suggest an error somewhere else
> that is leaving filehandles open?

Nope. :-)  If the error came from "mimedefang.pl", I would agree.  But
mimedefang and mimedefang-multiplexor can run out of descriptors on
very busy servers, especially if the maximum number of slaves is set high.