[Mimedefang] Too Many Open Files (again?)

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Tue Jun 17 21:22:02 EDT 2003

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Cormack, Ken wrote:

> I cant speak for Solaris specifically, but isn't 'ulimit' all about max file
> sizes for a specific user?

Among other things.

> I dont think it has anything to do with the max
> number of open file handles/inodes on a system.

solaris$ man ulimit

     The following options specify the resource whose limits  are
     to  be  printed  or set.

     -n    maximum file descriptor plus 1

The default "soft limit" on Solaris 9 appears to be 256, while the hard
limit is 65536.  Adding a "ulimit -n 16384" in the script that starts
MIMEDefang can help a lot.

> I believe you mean the sysconf variable OPEN_MAX (or whatever it's called,
> in Solaris).

That may have been the case in Solaris 8, but in Solaris 9, you can use
ulimit.  If you want to increase beyond 64k descriptors, then you most
likely do need to mess with a sysconf variable.