[Mimedefang] McAfee auto-update script problem

Stephane Lentz Stephane.Lentz at ansf.alcatel.fr
Mon Jun 16 11:28:01 EDT 2003

On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 04:55:55PM +0200, Ole Holm Nielsen wrote:
> I tried the McAfee auto-update script recommended by Lucas Albers, see
>    http://lists.roaringpenguin.com/pipermail/mimedefang/2003-June/006135.html
> but it hangs when trying to use "lynx -dump" to get a directory
> listing of ftp://ftp.nai.com/pub/antivirus/datfiles/4.x
> This was tested on a number of different redhat versions.
>
> There is no problem to see the listing when using ncftp,
> so it seems that "lynx" doesn't work as expected.
>
> Questions:
> 1. Has anyone else gotten the mentioned update script to
>    work, or found an even better script ?
> 2. Is there a script for getting also any extra.dat file ?
> 3. How exactly does one get the virus name as reported by uvscan
>    (context-diff of scripts, for example) ?
>
> Thanks for your help,

At first glance, just replace this code :

 # Get the page from nai
$LYNX -dump "$FTPDIR" > nai.ls

# Extract filename of last version
$CAT nai.ls | $GREP 'ftp://ftp.nai.com' nai.ls | $GREP .tar | $CUT -c 7- >nai.fn

# Get current version
VERSION_CURRENT=`cut -d - -f 2 nai.fn | cut -d . -f 1`

with :

VERSION_CURRENT=`ncftpls   ftp://ftp.nai.com/pub/antivirus/datfiles/4.x/ |  grep tar   |  cut -d - -f 2  | cut -d . -f 1`

It may be related to some passive vs active FTP.

Regards,

SL/
---
Stephane Lentz
Alcanet International, Internet Services