[Mimedefang] Bouncing on invalid HELO/EHLO

Jim McCullars jim at info.uah.edu
Thu Jun 12 14:14:01 EDT 2003

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003, Michael Sims wrote:

> I think it's a good idea in general to skip the SpamAssassin check for
> mail from trusted networks.

   I've thought about this, and I'm leaning towards doing the same thing,
but I'd like to hear your reason for not scanning internal mail.  I guess
I'm afraid that someone on-campus might do a spam run and we get a black
eye because of it.  But it does cause me a problem if I get a piece of
spam at one address, and try to send it to myself at another address and
SA blocks it.  I've had that happen more than once.  I never could figure
out why I got it in the first place if I can't turn around and re-send it
(through the same mailer!).  It may have something to do with the final
"Received:" header that SA can see the second time but not the first time.
Later versions of MD address this, but I have been lax in upgrading.

   Anyway, is there a particular reason you don't scan email that
originates internally?  Thanks...

Jim