[Mimedefang] Re: Bouncing on invalid HELO/EHLO

Jeremy Mates jmates at sial.org
Thu Jun 12 13:44:01 EDT 2003

* Michael Sims <michaels at crye-leike.com>
>  It will only work if you do not scan "internal" mail.  By internal
>  mail I'm referring to any trusted client that is allowed to relay
>  mail via the server that MD is installed on.  As you've seen, any
>  Windows machine using Outlook (and I assume most any other MUA) is
>  always going to report its NetBIOS hostname as the EHLO/HELO
>  argument.

Eudora appears to use the [IP] syntax; have not looked at what Mozilla
or similar do.

> I think it's a good idea in general to skip the SpamAssassin check for
> mail from trusted networks.  I've implemented this in my filter using
> a sub called relayIsTrusted():

The downside being malware hijacking a "trusted" host and turning it
into a spam source, or users throwing up insecure wireless networks used
by drive-by spammers.  Assuming the spam touches a central mail server,
logging the SA score allows a log parser to alert someone should spam
originate from a "trusted" address.  Another option without SA would be
to monitor the rate of emails being sent out by IP or authenticated
user, with alerts on abnormally high traffic.