[Mimedefang] Notice: Dropping support for RAV AntiVirus

Kris Deugau kdeugau at webhart.net
Tue Jun 10 20:01:01 EDT 2003

Justin Shore wrote:
> I tried it once a while back.  The very first thing I noticed was
> that it insisted on using what I consider an oddball directory
> structure that I do not use: /opt.

I started using on a production box here, and at the time it *did*
install under /usr/local/rav8 (IIRC).  Then they released an updated
version, which installed under /opt.

I originally called it via their provided milter, but...  let's just say
it lacked some configurability.  I couldn't specify which viruses had
notifications sent out- it was either on or off.  I couldn't reword the
notification message.  I couldn't specify viruses to discard silently- I
don't have time to sort through several hundred forged-sender virus
mails every day to track down which dialup luser has gotten infected
(again).

Of course, even after switching to MD and *very* carefully wording the
notification, I *still* got calls about it.  :(

I'm planning on switching to ClamAV, as soon as I can either:
a) Package it properly for RH7.3  (There's a package built for PLD, and
   Mandrake (IIRC), but they don't install cleanly on RedHat.)
b) Roll the production boxes here over to Debian so I don't have to
   reinstall them every year as RedHat drops errata support for that
   release.

-kgd
apartment it is.