[Mimedefang] Notice: Dropping support for RAV AntiVirus

Justin Shore listuser at numbnuts.net
Tue Jun 10 18:57:01 EDT 2003

I tried it once a while back.  The very first thing I noticed was that it
insisted on using what I consider an oddball directory structure that I do
not use: /opt.  In fact /opt is one of the many directories I remove
during the initial set up process on a fresh RH installation.  Every other
canned package I've worked with either let me decide where everything went
or used /usr/local.  The least it could do is conform to what I believe is
more common on BSD installations and install itself into
/usr/local/ravav-####.  Nevertheless I ultimately recreated the directory
structure and installed it.  After some editing of the MD configure
scripts (to detect ravav in /opt), I attempted to use it.  Never got it to
work.  I eventually gave up and went the free route.  Thank you ClamAV.

While I think it would be wonderful to have every desktop in the world
with an AV product of some kind on it, I don't want it to be from a single
vendor and I certainly don't want that one vendor to be Microsoft.  Talk
about a cart that was created to be pulled by only their ass (no pun
intended, well, maybe it was a little bit).  This would be like MasterLock
creating poorly designed locks that are riddled with security problems and
then offering an alarm system to detect breakins.  One poorly designed
product creates the need for another product from the same company.

Justin