[Mimedefang] Code fragment works only sometimes

Mitch at 0Bits.COM Mitch at 0Bits.COM
Sun Jul 13 15:28:00 EDT 2003

Hi,

> These seems to me pretty high, pretty conservative timeouts: can they be too short?
> Ok, I use spamassassin, but only for messages smaller than 100kB, which shouldn't take
> so long on a 400MHz Pentium II
> Am I wrong?

It'd be hard to decide without knowing the load on the system, your
link latency, DNS lookup speed, etc... too many factor can affect this
to make a wild judjement.

> Can I see from any log whether a timeout was exceeded?

Yup, this is where you should start looking. Assuming your syslogd is
setup correctly you should see in one of your log files messages like

Jul  9 11:33:45 core mimedefang[8743]: Error from multiplexor: ERR Filter timed out - check filter rules or system load
Jul  9 11:33:45 core sm-mta[8741]: h69AVimm008741: Milter: data, reject=451 4.7.1 Please try again later
Jul  9 11:33:45 core sm-mta[8741]: h69AVimm008741: to=<mitch at 0bits.com>, delay=00:02:00, pri=140423, stat=Please try again later