[Mimedefang] Spam to the list admin

Jeffrey Goldberg jeffrey at goldmark.org
Sat Jul 5 02:11:01 EDT 2003

On Fri, 4 Jul 2003, David F. Skoll wrote:

> The worst offenders don't actually bounce the messages, but they have
> filters that generate another message and send it to the list admin
> (me).

I've got a rant about bad auto responders at

  http://www.goldmark.org/netrants/auto-resp/

I should probably add to it.

> I consider such automatically-generated mail the worst kind of spam,
> especially the virus notifications which just bother innocent third
> parties.
>
> If your organization generates this kind of spam and you aren't the
> e-mail admin, please pass this message on to your e-mail admin. :-)

What you describe is, of course, unexcusable, the the question of
generating proper bounces for things carrying malware remains. I don't
like to simply discard mail, but bouncing mail to forged addresses doesn't
help anybody either.

So weaving this slightly back on to topic, let me say that I love the fact
that with MIMEDefang I can reject after DATA at SMTP time.

Cheers,

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg                            http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/