[Mimedefang] Re: Bouncing Dead Users?

Jeremy Mates jmates at sial.org
Thu Jul 31 00:08:01 EDT 2003

* Joshua Graham <jgraham2 at tranxition.com>
> Okay, I tried the virtusertable to send an error but the mailertable
> seems to override the virtusertable and relay it anyway. Am I missing
> something?

Sounds like virtusertable is not setup properly, as the mailertable
feature is called after virtusertable ("Sendmail", 3rd ed., p. 203).

To aid testing, the 38.20 debug flag should show virtuser map lookups.
The following (domain munged) example is from a host that has a default
"no such user" virtusertable entry and a mailertable entry for the
domain to a different server.

# sendmail -d38.20 -bv nouser at example.edu
openmap()       dequote:dequote NULL: valid
openmap()       host:host NULL: valid
getcanonname(example.edu), trying dns
getcanonname(example.edu), found
hash_map_open(virtuser, /etc/mail/virtusertable, 0)
openmap()       hash:virtuser /etc/mail/virtusertable: valid
db_map_lookup(virtuser, nouser at example.edu)
db_map_lookup(virtuser, @example.edu)
nouser at example.edu... No such user here
closemaps: closing host (NULL)
closemaps: closing dequote (NULL)
closemaps: closing virtuser (/etc/mail/virtusertable)
db_map_close(virtuser, /etc/mail/virtusertable, 1000121)