[Mimedefang] Sendmail Question

Ole Craig olc at cs.umass.edu
Tue Jan 14 15:03:00 EST 2003

On 01/14/03 at 14:55, 'twas brillig and Ole Craig blitheren:
[...]
> 	The answer to your question relates to the internal $x macro,
> which is usually generated from the GECOS field of your passwd file or
> NIS map, and is referenced by default in the construction of the From:
> header field. Details can be found in section 31.10.42 of the Bat Book.
> ("Sendmail", Allman and Costales, from O'Reilly. In my copy -- 2nd
> edition -- this is page 605.)

	Stefano is right, of course, your MUA did a get_pwent() and
filled in the field, I was hasty in my answer and didn't read the
question closely.

	I stand by the rest of my comment, and will add that your
chances of getting *correct* answers may be better in fora
specifically devoted to sendmail. :-)

		Ole, with some chagrin
--
Ole Craig * UNIX, linux, SMTP-ninja; news, web; SGI martyr * CS Computing
Facility, UMass * <www.cs.umass.edu/~olc/pgppubkey.txt> for public key