[Mimedefang] Re: LMTPD problems

Ken Murchison ken at oceana.com
Fri Feb 21 15:48:00 EST 2003

James Miller wrote:

> Would the LOGFILE statement go into the .procmailrc recipe?  Also, I have
> MIMEDefang (calling SpamAssassin and ClamAV virus scanner).  Here are some
> of the headers that get added to all of our mail.

> It seems to me LMTPD is rejecting the messages because of header problems.
> Though I can not find any logging lmtpd does.  I next tried disabling
> MIMEDefang, took it out of my sendmail.mc remade sendmail.cf, and I still
> can not get LMTPD to deliver a message into the message store.  Are there
> any know issues between cyrus and mimedefang?  I really don't want Cyrus
> doing any validation for me.  I simply want it to deliver the _@#%@#$_
> messages into the mailstores.. is there a way to turn off all of the
> message/header validation checks?

The only validation that Cyrus does is make sure that the message is RFC
2822 compliant.  You can't turn it off, and you shouldn't have to.

> I'm really pulling my hair out over this.  This _should_ be that difficult.
> I'm must have done something fundamentally wrong in my installation.  Any
> help would be greatly appreciated.

You're trying to bite off too much at one time.  The first thing that I
would do is make sure that lmtpd will accept and deliver a message.  If
lmtpd is listening on a TCP port, telnet to it.  If its listening on a
UNIX domain socket, login as the cyrus user and run 'deliver -l'
(lowercase 'L').  Then:

mail from:<foo>
rcpt to:<bar>
data
from:<foo>
to:<bar>
subject: lmtpd test

body text
.
quit

This should put a message into bar's INBOX (assuming that you don't have
a sieve script which changes the disposition).  If this works, then your
problem is outside of lmtpd.

Software Engineer     21 Princeton Place
716-662-8973 x26      Orchard Park, NY 14127