[Mimedefang] problems with pthread on sco openserver

GVSM Siva Kumar gvsm at nfc.ernet.in
Fri Feb 21 09:12:00 EST 2003

hi,
   Iam trying to install MIMEDefang on our email server which is running
on SCO OpenServer 5.0.4 with SendMail 8.12.1.
   As per the MIMEDefang installation note, I've tried to install the
latest version of sendmail first. Since it requires Pthreads and as
Pthreads is not available on this OS, I've downloaded an image file of
FSUPthreads (version 3.9) from the ftp website of SCO (caldera) and
installed it on the server. The sendmail compiled cleanly.
   Now I tried to compile MIMEDefang. The following is the output of make
command.

gcc -g -O2  -D_POSIX_PTHREAD_SEMANTICS -DPERL_PATH=\"/usr/local/bin/perl\" -DMIMEDEFANG_PL=\"/usr/local/bin/mimedefang.pl\" -DRM=\"/bin/rm\" -DVERSION=\"2.25\" -DSPOOLDIR=\"/var/spool/MIMEDefang\" -DQDIR=\"/var/spool/MIMEDefang\" -DCONFDIR=\"/etc/mail\"
-I/usr/local/include/sendmail -c -o mimedefang.o mimedefang.c
mimedefang.c:145: `PTHREAD_MUTEX_INITIALIZER' undeclared here (not in a function)
make: *** [mimedefang.o] Error 1

   I opened pthread.h file in an editor and was unable to locate the
varaiable 'PTHREAD_MUTEX_INITIALIZER'. The nearest match was
'pthread_mutex_init'. I tried by modifying MIMEDefang.c with this variable
instead of PTHREAD_MUTEX_INITIALIZER. It didnot work and make exited with
error.

   Can someone help in resolving this error. I tried on the internet
without much help. I've tried using another version of Pthread (i guess
GNU) pth-1.4 something. However, with this version of Pthread, sendmail
was not compiling. So Iam stuck with FSUPthread only.

	Thanks in advance for any help.
		sivakumar