[Mimedefang] Re: What to do about bounced forgeries?

Kevin A. McGrail kmcgrail at pccc.com
Mon Dec 22 08:58:20 EST 2003

The main problem with implementing SPF at my company is being caused by
internet service providers blocking port 25 outbound.

Obviously I think this ISP policy has great benefits but even though we run
SMTP on an alternate port, many people simple call their ISP and get told to
send outbound off the ISP's server.

We simply don't have the resources to call and educate potentially hundreds
or thousands of people and I consider our company pretty proactive.  If we
can't implement this any time soon, I question the ability of other
company's to implement this system.

Because SPF is DNS related, the possibility of caching comes into play.  And
we can't extend the POP3 before SMTP stuff because they will be relaying off
an unknown ISP SMTP server.  Sigh.

Finally, while I understand SPF to be a relatively simple DNS based system,
I also specialize in handling DNS issues. Unfortunately, because of the fact
that when I have to interface with some company's to get DNS changes made, I
rarely can get an MX record updated properly let alone major entries to a
zone done properly.

Sigh,
KAM