[Mimedefang] OT: Browser Bug: Very bad in IE and varies on Netscape and Mozilla

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Sun Dec 21 23:21:24 EST 2003

--On Sunday, December 21, 2003 3:38 AM +0100 Jonas Eckerman
<jonas_lists at frukt.org> wrote:

> Obviously, they do something wrong in IE. Terminating because of a NUL I
> can understand, though they really should consider %00 an invalid
> character instead. Terminating a displayed string at the first
> encountered unprintable is less understandable. This means that they
> actually check for unprintables and not only for NUL termination (this is
> not something that Windows does automatically), so why do an extra check
> for them and then treat them as terminators instead of stripping them or
> replacing them with ? or something? I don't know.

I'd guess it was defensive programming: They assume that someone else
writing another part of the code hands them an unterminated buffer (ie.
some other programmer is a moron) and stop processing the string when they
hit anything not understood, to keep from UE'ing by running off the end of
memory.