[Mimedefang] OT: Browser Bug: Very bad in IE and varies on Netscape and Mozilla

Kevin A. McGrail kmcgrail at pccc.com
Sat Dec 20 21:59:38 EST 2003

If *I* were designing the code, I would have decoded the URI encoding first
and then displayed the string.  Unfortunately, I think it was a large
oversight to decode a null string into a string and then print it using a
routine that most likely uses the null char to denote end of the string.

Regards,
KAM

> Obviously, they do something wrong in IE. Terminating because of a NUL I
can understand, though they really should consider %00 an invalid character
instead. Terminating a displayed string at the first encountered unprintable
is less understandable. This means that they actually check for unprintables
and not only for NUL termination (this is not something that Windows does
automatically), so why do an extra check for them and then treat them as
terminators instead of stripping them or replacing them with ? or something?
I don't know.