[Mimedefang] New email virus/worm -- with a BIG twist!

Jon R. Kibler Jon.Kibler at aset.com
Wed Dec 3 13:08:57 EST 2003

Greetings:

I know this is slightly off topic -- but I thought the list may find it interesting... (not only it it interesting, it gives us another chance to bash M$!)

CNN is reporting a new email worm/virus that is targeted against the anti-spam organizations.  (It is really a MIMAIL.L variant.) The worm comes as an email attachment, that when activated, sends itself to others in the victim's address book. The victim then receives an email that appears to be from an anti-spam organization stating that unless you reply to the email, you will be sent a CD of child porn -- thus flooding the anti-spam organization with all sorts of hate mail.

See link for details:
	http://money.cnn.com/2003/12/02/technology/internet_spam.reut/index.htm?cnn=yes

Here is an example of the email from Symantec :
	http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.mimail.l@mm.html

> Good afternoon, We are going to bill your credit card for amount of $22.95 on a weekly
> basis. Free pack of child porn CDs is already on the way to your billing address. If you
> want to cancel membership and your CD pack please email order and credit card details
> to security at europe.spamhaus.org

What will they think of next?

I should also add that, as of this morning, we have not seen any incidents of this virus -- but it is still new.

Jon R. Kibler
Chief Technical Officer
A.S.E.T., Inc.
Charleston, SC  USA