[Mimedefang] Max Slaves setting in Mimedefang

Kris Deugau kdeugau at webhart.net
Fri Aug 15 17:08:01 EDT 2003

Stephen L Johnson wrote:
> I wonder if this is a good method for determining Max Slaves or is there
> better methods or rule-of-thumb for setting Max Slaves. The mail
> archives haven't been much help.

The rule of thumb I've seen is between 16 and 20M of real memory per
slave.  Depending on what else you're running (AV, SpamAssassin, etc),
you'll want to adjust that up or down.

You can probably go to 20 slaves without too much trouble, although you
should also make sure that the sendmail load limiting options are set
sanely to match MD and your hardware.  For instance, on the PII/450/512M
box I'm running, I've got sendmail throttled way down with:

define(`confCONNECTION_RATE_THROTTLE',`2')dnl
define(`confDELAY_LA', `1')dnl
define(`confQUEUE_LA', `4')dnl
define(`confREFUSE_LA', `5')dnl

and MD set up for 18 slaves (currently).  I'm also running SpamAssassin
(called via procmail thru spamc/spamd) and calling a command-line AV
(ugh- I'm working on it :P).  It's currently handling ~30K
messages/week, with only rare occasional load spikes.

-kgd
apartment it is.