[Mimedefang] Gentoo Linux and Mimedefang

Daniel Kasak dkasak at nusconsulting.com.au
Wed Aug 6 23:33:01 EDT 2003

Brett Hoffman wrote:

>First let me first start off by saying Thanks to everyone who has put
>work into Mimedefang and anyone who has posted on this list. I've gone
>through the archives on this list and it has answered every single one
>of my questions. Also Mimedefang recently got me out of some hot water
>with my Exchange Servers and is now proudly processing close to 25,000
>messages a day. I wish I would have known about it a year ago for other
>projects that I've worked on.
>
>Now that I've gotten Mimedefang up and running, I'm finalizing my
>installation and making the install a lot more clean with my Gentoo
>Linux installation and I noticed that Mimedefang isn't in the Gentoo
>Linux portage tree.
>
>I've searched around a little bit and the closest I've came to anything
>Gentoo Linux + Mimedefang related was someone noting that they  use it
>with Gentoo and that it isn't in the portage tree.
>
>I was wondering if anyone on this list is running Mimedefang with Gentoo
>Linux and has thought of or know of someone who is currently working on
>putting it into Gentoo Linux's portage tree. I ask because if I can't
>find anyone who is currently working on it then I'll just go a head and
>do it myself.
>
>Any guidance would be appreciated.

I was considering doing it ( sendmail / mimedefang / spamassassin ebuild
) for my home box when I got some time.
I've been happily running Exim ( as per Gentoo users' recommendations )
but yeah I'm starting to get some spam...
If you're going to play around with it, I'd hold off until the Perl crap
in Gentoo calms down - see the latest couple of newsletters for details.
>From memory mimedefang was a little picky about the versions of perl
module dependancies, and I've had some BAD times with other Gentoo perl
stuff.
If you're going to write an ebuild, I'll be more than happy to test it
out for you :)

--
Daniel Kasak
IT Developer