[Mimedefang] Questions on Received, stream_by_recipient, and SpamAssassin

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Fri Apr 18 19:31:01 EDT 2003

On Fri, 18 Apr 2003, Kelson Vibber wrote:

> My question is: if you have used stream_by_recipient or resend_message, and
> you have an IP validation key, does MD use the "real" relay as mentioned in
> X-MIMEDefang-Relay... to reconstruct this, or does it use localhost?

It uses the "real" relay address and name.  Early on during processing,
mimedefang.pl sets $RelayHostname and $RelayAddr based on the
X-MIMEDefang-Relay... header.

> (On a related note, I'm not using either add_ip_validation_header or
> delete_ip_validation_header in the actual filter; my understanding is that
> the various stream_by functions use it automatically if the key is present,
> and I do see the headers being deleted in my logs - but occasionally a
> message will come through that still has the header present.  Any ideas why
> this might be happening?)

That should never happen unless you use the ACCEPT_AND_NO_MORE_FILTERING
feature.  The IP validation header is always deleted in the mimedefang C
code if it is found.