[Mimedefang] majordomo/queue error + 451.4.71 Please try again

Xiaoyan Ma xma at haas.berkeley.edu
Tue Apr 8 17:33:00 EDT 2003

I am panicking now.

Brought up both sendmail8-12.9 and mimedefang to production for the first
time last Sunday.  Monday, yesterday, start having 451.4.71 Please try
again error.  Thanks for cuba's reply and suggestion.  I have increased
child processes to 50, increased busy time to 300.  But didn't seem to help.

Now I have more serious problem:  majordomo stopped working yesterday late
afternoon after I had reconfigured sendmail and made some adjustment to
mimedefang.

ABORT Mailer /usr/lib/sendmail -oi -oee -fowner-xxxx at xxxxx outgoing exited
unexpectedly with error 71

and in the system log I have:

SYSERR(majordom): queueup: cannot create queue temp file
./tfh38IBK8E011949, uid=2212: Permission denied

I have gone through a few mailing lists and learned it should run as
smmsp.  Although majordomo had been working for more than 36 hours running
as majordomo, I recompiled it running as smmsp.  But I still got the error:

SYSERR(smmsp): queueup: cannot create queue temp file ./tfh38JSSjv001538,
uid=26: Permission denied

Here are permissions:
drwxr-xr-x  30 root     root        1024 Apr  7 18:13 /
drwxr-xr-x  27 root     sys          512 Jan 29 09:31 /var
drwxr-xr-x  10 root     bin          512 Feb  7 10:33 /var/spool
drwxrwx---   2 smmsp    smmsp        512 Apr  7 17:59 /var/spool/clientmqueue/
drwx------   5 root     wheel       2048 Apr  8 14:26 /var/spool/mqueue/

I added defang wheel smmsp to trusted user, added smmsp to wheel group. now
I got:

NOQUEUE: SYSERR(smmsp): can not chdir(/var/spool/mqueue/): Permission denied

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Xiaoyan