[Mimedefang] Re: A place to skip tests (Questions on filter_recipient with multiple recip's)

Stefano McGhee SMcGhee at ARCweb.com
Mon Apr 7 16:50:01 EDT 2003

Hello Kelson,
	Hopefully I can help here as I've implemented stream_by_recipient
somewhat unconventionally.

> * What happens if one recipient causes filter_recipient to return
> ACCEPT_AND_NO_MORE_FILTERING and another causes it to return
> CONTINUE?  Does MD split the message, does it take the
> first/last action
> requested, or does it just kick everything back to Sendmail
> the moment it
> sees an ACCEPT... code?

	When I had done this to create a spam trap of sorts in
filter_recipient, it did indeed reject one (550 I think) and accept the
ones you said to 'ACCEPT'.  It was per recipient.  I did not want this
behavior, so I implemented stream_by_recipient in filter_begin.

> * Am I correct in assuming that stream_by_recipient can't be
> used until
> filter_begin, but that it can be used selectively (i.e. checking the
> relaying IP first to only stream incoming mail and not outgoing)?

	While the man mimedefang-filter does say it should be used at the
very beginning of filter_begin, I have some code in just before
stream_by_recipient to reject entire messages based on one envelope
recipient.  I'm sure that you too can put code in there, as long as you
want to take action on the message as a whole, not on a per-recipient
basis.  That's a good enough place to do recipient stuff based on IP
(incoming not outgoing).

I hope I was able to help at least part way toward what you were looking
for.

Cheers,

Stefano