[Mimedefang] Re: A place to skip tests (Questions on filter_recipient with multiple recip's)

Kelson Vibber kelson at speed.net
Mon Apr 7 13:58:01 EDT 2003

Marcelo Souza wrote:
>         Where is the best place to put a routine to skip MD tests based on
>a custom recipient list file?

I've been considering something similar.  Right now we skip SpamAssassin
filtering for local senders, which we just do in filter_end with the SA
checks, and something similar could be done based on recipient.

Recently I've seen some of our spamtraps are getting hit with lots of
simultaneous spam, taking up all available MD slaves.  I want to keep
auto-reporting the spam to Razor and Pyzor, so I don't want to take out the
exceptions to our blacklists.  That leaves getting MD finished as fast as
possible for these recipients, leaving me with the same issue you have.

What I'm looking at right now is using filter_recipient with the
ACCEPT_AND_NO_MORE_FILTERING return code.

The only problem is, the man page for mimedefang-filter isn't clear on what
filter_recipient does if there are multiple recipients and each generates a
different return code.

If one recipient results in CONTINUE and another results in REJECT, I would
assume the message would be delivered, but only to the recipient who
returned CONTINUE.

* What happens if one recipient causes filter_recipient to return
ACCEPT_AND_NO_MORE_FILTERING and another causes it to return
CONTINUE?  Does MD split the message, does it take the first/last action
requested, or does it just kick everything back to sendmail the moment it
sees an ACCEPT... code?

* Am I correct in assuming that stream_by_recipient can't be used until
filter_begin, but that it can be used selectively (i.e. checking the
relaying IP first to only stream incoming mail and not outgoing)?

Kelson Vibber