[Mimedefang] spurious "suspicious characters in body" warnings?

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Thu Apr 3 20:07:01 EST 2003

On Thu, 3 Apr 2003, James Ralston wrote:

> The only other thing I can think of is that MIMEDefang "cleaned up"
> the quarantined file, and I'm not actually looking at the raw data
> that was received over the network.

This is what mimedefang.c does.  Read the code carefully... mimedefang.c
won't write out '\r' characters.  The reason is that a lot of software
(SpamAssassin, DCC, Razor) expects to be fed the mail body just as
procmail would feed it, and if you feed it the data from the wire with
the '\r' characters, the software fails in strange ways.