[Mimedefang] Archiving email

Jason Englander jason at englanders.cc
Tue Sep 17 11:42:01 EDT 2002

On Mon, 16 Sep 2002, David F. Skoll wrote:

> > I went through a whole slew of different ways of doing it, but for that
> > particular setup the "best" method ended up being modifying @Recipients
> > and $Sender then using resend_message().
>
> Why not just add_recipient()?  Much simpler and more efficient.

It's been 6 months since I stopped using it, but I think it had to do with
various what-if's related to the archive box being down or overburdoned.

The sender would've received mailer-daemon warning/failure messages (a
no-no), the original could be delivered to machine #3 (NT machine
physically at the customer), while the dupe copy could get to the archive
box whenever...  To add fuel to the fire, the stored _mbox_ copy of all
mail _and_ the web archive _and_ the htdig db files all had to be stored
on a SMB-based mount (some evil network attached storage box at the
customer).  Had to filter out a list of about 75 attachment extensions
(not from the original, just the dupe), but allow (archive) 50 meg Word
docs, Excel Spreadsheets, CAD drawings, and so on and so fourth.  And of
course, the archive machine was a P3 600 w/ 128 meg of RAM.

Man, I'm SOOO glad I don't have to deal with that any more.  :-)

--
Jason Englander <jason at englanders.cc>
394F 7E02 C105 7268 777A  3F5A 0AC0 C618 0675 80CA