[Mimedefang] Archiving email

Kris Deugau kdeugau at webhart.net
Sat Sep 14 11:44:00 EDT 2002

Ole Craig wrote:
> Moreover, your phrasing of "political reasons" suggest that things are
> already to the point where somebody is unhappy,

If the "political" reasons are anything like a note I heard in last
night's news, governments in several places are looking at *requiring*
ISPs to archive all email to/from/within their systems.  Should that
happen, it's probably still a good idea to note the fact in SMTP
greetings or email headers...

Ugh.  I work for a *small* ISP, and we process around 3G of mail per
week (in/out/within).  That doesn't include our corporate customers that
host their own mailservers, or our domain hosting service.  We can't
*afford* the disk space required to store that email...

Just thinking about the technical challenge of storing more than a few
days' email for a large ISP is making me twitch...

-kgd
--
Money is overrated.