[Mimedefang] Archiving email

Jason Englander jason at englanders.cc
Mon Sep 16 12:00:01 EDT 2002

On Fri, 13 Sep 2002, Michael Grau wrote:

> Archiving is somethng we'll resist to the bitter end, but other
> agencies have already been forced to do so, and it's been upheld
> in the courts. I just want to be able to implement it quickly if
> forced to.

I had to do this too.

I went through a whole slew of different ways of doing it, but for that
particular setup the "best" method ended up being modifying @Recipients
and $Sender then using resend_message().  ...but you have to be _VERY_
careful doing that because MD will process the re-sent message again
(resending it over and over again forever) unless you set up something to
watch for that.  And also keep in mind, this was probably 20 versions of
MD ago, it might not work that way any more.

If you Google for copyuser.m4 you'll come across another possibility.
It's a sendmail mailer that will call sendmail to send each message
elsewhere.

The other ideas sound good as well.

I had to webify the archive of mail, for that I used a HEAVILY modified
(by me) version of MHonARC and ht://Dig for searching through it.  Since
then mharc (written by the author of MHonARC) has come out, which sounds
closer to what I was doing - but I haven't seen it.

Any way you cut it, ethically - it sucks, it ads a nice load overhead
over normal mail processing, and it's a pain in the arce.  If you have
to do it and you have the $ to outsource it, as Nik Clayton suggested, do
it.

  Jason

--
Jason Englander <jason at englanders.cc>
394F 7E02 C105 7268 777A  3F5A 0AC0 C618 0675 80CA