Legalities (was Re: [Mimedefang] Archiving email)

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Sat Sep 14 13:15:01 EDT 2002

"David F. Skoll" wrote:

> Here in Canada, there's a discussion paper which proposes criminalizing
> the *posession* of computer viruses.  Couple that with a requirement to
> archive all e-mail... I guess the law-makers really don't get it.

    Several years ago one of our servers was hacked into by some telia.com/.net punk and we decided to take the case to court.  At the time I was not doing any archiving at all of any log files.  While we won the case, we were required to start archiving *everything* that came across our pipe that would generate any kind of message.  The Court didn't care how, nor in what format, as long as if the day came where we would have to produce those logs, we could.

--
H | "Life is the art of drawing without an eraser." - John Gardner
  Director of Internet Operations / SysAdmin    .     800.441.3873 x130