[Mimedefang] Archiving email

Ole Craig olc at cs.umass.edu
Fri Sep 13 17:16:01 EDT 2002

On 09/13/02 at 15:13, 'twas brillig and Michael Grau scrobe:
> Hello all.
>
> For political reasons, we will soon probably have to archive
> all email passing through our internal mail hub.
>
> Is anyone using mimedefang to do something like this -
> something like quarantine_entire_message, except
> quietly with no quarantine report or notification.
>
> Actually, I'd like to see this in a new release:
>
> sub archive {
> }

Mike -
	'Scuse me while I stick my probiscis towards the area marked
"noses not wanted", but unless you're doing this in response to a
warrant you probably don't want to do it *completely* silently. You
could be opening yourself/your organization up for a nasty lawsuit by
so doing. (Yes, you and I know that one should never put anything into
email which would cause discomfort if it were printed in 72-point type
and nailed to one's cubicle/front door/spouse's desk/&etc, but most
people don't, and if you're found to be violating someone's
"reasonable presumption of privacy" the water could get very hot.)
Moreover, your phrasing of "political reasons" suggest that things are
already to the point where somebody is unhappy, which implicates an
increased likelihood of an unhappy person deciding down the line that
it would be advantageous to add a lawyer into the mix.

	You *might* be safe by putting something like

250 WARNING: all email passing through this server is archived
250 for the purposes of yakkayakka; your email may be read by persons
250 other than the addressee.

	...into the SMTP greeting and/or an X-header, where most
people are likely to ignore it anyway, but this suggestion should not
be taken as legal advice -- I am not a lawyer, and it would be A
Really Good Idea(tm) to discuss this with someone who is.

	That said, you don't even need MIMEDefang; you can accomplish
what you want to do using sendmail, in fact IIRC it's one of the two
functions of the sample milter included with the source.

		Ole
--
Ole Craig * UNIX; postmaster, news, web; SGI martyr * CS Computing
Facility, UMass * <www.cs.umass.edu/~olc/pgppubkey.txt> for public key

perl -e 'print$i=pack(c5,(41*2),sqrt(7056),(unpack(c,H)-2),oct(115),10);'