[Mimedefang] Relay_check not working

Stefano McGhee SMcGhee at ARCweb.com
Thu Sep 12 13:26:02 EDT 2002

Hello all,
	Thanks for all the responses.  They, of course, help out a lot!  As
David predicted, after submitting a MAIL FROM: command with an address, I
got a 554 5.7.1 error telling me to leave (Excellent...).  However, I was
still connected.  Am I wron to think that the connection should be closed?
I did read the man for mimedefang-filter(5) and thought that's what would
happen.  Did I misread?

Many thanks,

Stefano

-----Original Message-----
From: David F. Skoll [mailto:dfs at roaringpenguin.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 12, 2002 12:14 PM
To: mimedefang at lists.roaringpenguin.com
Subject: Re: [Mimedefang] Relay_check not working

On Thu, 12 Sep 2002, Stefano McGhee wrote:

> When I telnet into port 25 and issue the command HELO mydomain.com or
> HELO server12345.mydomain.com, it is very pleased to meet me.  What
> might be wrong?

filter_relay doesn't actually get called until you do a MAIL FROM: Make
sure you're not telnetting in from an allowed address, and try going
through the entire SMTP conversation.  It should stop after MAIL FROM:

(You can't call filter_relay with the HELO info from mfconnect, because you
don't have a HELO yet.  And you shouldn't call filter_relay from the "helo"
callback, because some Sendmail sites will accept mail even without an
initial HELO.)