[Mimedefang] Setting up non-root MD

Hamilton, Kent KHamilton at Hunter.COM
Thu Oct 31 13:12:00 EST 2002

Except when that doesn't work because your AV software can't touch the
MIMEDefang spool.
I'm running on FreeBSD which runs sendmail as user "smmsp" and my solution
was:

Run the AV software as "mailnull"
Run MIMEDefang as "mailnull"

touch /var/log/{your_av_software_log}
touch /var/log/md-stats (or whereever you put 'em)
chown mailnull /var/log/{av_software_log,md-stats}
chown -R mailnull /var/spool/MIMEDefang
I also had to write my PID files into the MDSPOOL directory rather than the
normal "/var/run".

If you are running clamd then you will need to modify the code before you
compile it, or at least I had to.
OpenAntivirus didn't seem to care one way or another.

--
Kent Hamilton KHamilton at Hunter.COM
Manager - Systems & Networking