[Mimedefang] Setting up non-root MD

Rob MacGregor rob_macgregor at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 31 02:05:01 EST 2002

>From: listuser at neo.pittstate.edu
>
>Can anyone give me a hand with my MD installation?  I'm trying to figure
>out what to do with this mess of users and groups that my mail system
>needs to run.  Sendmail 8.12.6 has smmsp, although I'm not sure what it
>does with it.  Amavisd-new uses amavis and the AV tool uses vscan.
>MIMEDefang 2.23 w/ Spamassassin 2.43 wants defang.  It also wants the
>spool and quarentine directories to be owned by defang.  I don't see how
>that's doable on any sort of complex mail system like mine is quickly
>becoming.  Can anyone give me a hand sorting out this mess?

Not really that complex, it's exactly the setup I've got.  The nice thing
about milter is that what amavis and MD run as is irrelevant to sendmail.

>I'm confused.
>At present I can only seem to get mimedefang (non-multiplexor) running as
>root.  The rc script spawns a bunch of processes but Sendmail logs an
>error state and temp fails the messages.  The only way I can get it to
>work is run this as root.

If it still doesn't work after you've followed David's instructions then how
about posting the *exact* error messages.  Saying "logs an error" gives
people nothing they can use to help you.  Just remember to check permissions
on directories first.

  Please DO NOT send me ANY email directly unless it's a privacy issue.
       Reply-to mangled to assist those who don't read the above.
--
Rob  |  What part of "no" was it you didn't understand?