[Mimedefang] Best method of dealing with automatic - propagationvirus mails

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Tue Oct 29 18:27:01 EST 2002

> From: Kris Deugau

> In a corporate environment, this sort of thing would be *much* easier to
> track.  Every desktop has an IP on the LAN, and messages can be
> identified much more quickly.  Not having to support dialup users'
> problems would give me time to do some of the manual digging required as
> well...

Corporate desktops are generally DHCP assigned, and laptops that hop
from subnet to subnet or use roaming wireless connections are pretty
common.  It may not be impossible to map an IP to a machine but it
isn't necessarily easier than your dialup users.  In my case, the
users passing mail through even the internal rely could be in any of
several states or a few continents each with their own quirky ways
of dispensing IP numbers.  Plus, of course they may be dialing in
to get to the network in several of these locations.

---
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com