[Mimedefang] Best method of dealing with automatic - propagationvirusmails

Tue Oct 29 13:45:01 EST 2002

Aren't 2) and 3) the same really.  Just depends on your definition of a warning message, and whether you want to adjust the "From" line to say Postmaster...

-----Original Message-----
From: David F. Skoll [mailto:dfs at roaringpenguin.com]

2) Drop the mail, but notify the sender (and possibly recipient.)  I
think we all see that this is pointless; the sender address is probably
fake, and the recipient really doesn't want or need the notification.
Also, sending notifications (as in action_notify_sender) loses information,
like the Received: headers and original sending IP address.  In fact,
I find notifications so annoying that my MIMEDefang rule set bounces
those which it can recognize (including MIMEDefang notifications. :-))

3) Accept the mail, but generate a Sendmail bounce message, omitting the
original message body (but including the headers.)  Some would argue that
this is the "kindest" approach, preserving important information while
not risking infecting someone else.  The downside is that it adds extra
load to your mail server, and your bounce message is likely to bounce too.