[Mimedefang] Server load

Schuster, Dan Dan.Schuster at westgroup.com
Thu Oct 24 11:29:00 EDT 2002

ramdisk question / howto?

> One important piece of advice:  If you're handling huge amounts of mail,
> put the MIMEDefang spool directory (typically /var/spool/MIMEDefang)
> on a ramdisk.  Otherwise, the I/O will kill you.  It's not so much a
problem
> with Linux, which is rather cavalier about committing writes to disk, but
> it is a big problem with more conservative systems like Solaris.  Even
> with Linux, I think a ramdisk can be a big win.

I have come to the conclusion that I need to put the MimeDefang spool
partition onto ramdisk to increase performance, but I don't know how to.
The Internet documentation on creating a ramdisk is minimal (that I could
find) and am wondering if anyone here has a howto for creating a ramdisk to
use with MimeDefang?

It seems that there are many people using a ramdisk spool partition with
mimedefang and that is the 1st recommendation to make MD more efficient.
Would it make sense to even make it an optional part of the
README/installation.

Thanks,
-Dan