[Mimedefang] Question about bounces - How do I do this?

Troy Carpenter troy at carpenter.cx
Mon Oct 21 13:19:01 EDT 2002

See inline comments:

>Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 11:22:58 -0400 (EDT)
>From: "David F. Skoll" <dfs at roaringpenguin.com>
>To: mimedefang at lists.roaringpenguin.com
>Subject: Re: [Mimedefang] Question about bounces - How do I do this?
>
>On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, Troy Carpenter wrote:
>
> Now, I can relay email through my ISP's mail server all day long, as
> long as there is a from address.  However, my ISP will not accept
> messages from "<>" if the destination address is NOT local to my ISP,
>
>Your ISP is behaving badly!

I though so too, but then again they do accept bounces destined for
users on their system...it's just when it is bound for another system
and "just passing through" that there is a problem.  I will eventually
take this up with them again when I have time to fight that battle.

>As a workaround, put this in your Sendmail's .mc file:
>
>	define(`SMTP_MAILER_FLAGS', `g')
>	define(`confMAILER_NAME', `MAILER-DAEMON at yourdomain.com')
>
>It will make bounce messages appear to come from
MAILER-DAEMON at yourdomain.com instead of ><>

I tried this, but it did not fix my problem.  Does this cause sendmail
to rewrite bounce messages that it receives from other mailservers?

Here's the complex path taken to get this problem:

1. User1 sends email through MailserverA to User2 at mailserverB using a
return email address of user1 at mailserverD
2. Forwarding MailserverB accepts message and forwards to
user2 at mailserverC.
3. User2 does not exist on MailserverC, so MailserverB bounces message
to user1 at mailserverD.
4. MailserverD attempts to forward bounce to user1 at mailserverA via
MailserverE (which is D's smarthost, user1 is listed in
virtualusertable).
5. Because the envelope sender address is "<>", MailserverE rejects the
relay.
6. Bounce message then goes to postmaster at mailserverD for final burial.

Clear as mud?

I have also used MIMEDefang to modify the "Return-Path" and "Sender"
headers, but to no avail.

Right now I am quarantining these messages, and can provide the message
plus the SMTP logs where I have them.  However, due to third party
privacy issues, I would need to take some time to modify the
information.

Troy Carpenter
troy at carpenter.cx