[Mimedefang] Spam to inactive accounts

Geoff Thornton gthornton at networks-group.com
Fri Oct 18 10:38:00 EDT 2002

Yes, the trick would to extract the active user information into a
accessdb/virtusertable/aliases format, and I suspect that many people are
doing just that.  I'm doing that to a limited degree already.  It's just
that's it's a _manual_ process that must be done on the end mail system and
the process differes depending on what type of end mail system is being
used.

I think that the suggestion was to create a portable and automatic method on
the MIMEDefang side to add similar functionality without relying on sendmail
or manually generating access / virtual user / alias lists. I'm sure the
many people already have an acceptable procedure in place for generating
these files... I don't.  I'm also lazy.  And I also like to program (small
programs) :-)  That's why I'm interested in an interface that will do all of
the work for me.

That way when a new user is added, I don't make any changes--the first email
send to the user will automatically add an entry for that email address.
Then when that user leaves, cached information about that user will
automatically expire and then user will automatically be switched from a
valid to an invalid recipient.  When mail eventually stops going to that
mailbox, that entry will automatically be deleted.

That seems like a pretty nice framework to me.

--Geoff Thornton