[Mimedefang] Spam to inactive accounts

Alberto.daSilva at rmb.co.za Alberto.daSilva at rmb.co.za
Fri Oct 18 08:36:02 EDT 2002

Greetings,

>> I've been thinking along those lines as well for some time now.  My only
>> humble thought was that I would use a file, almost like a whitelist, to
>> store recipient names, whether the recipient is valid or not, plus a
value
>> similar to a TTL that would allow caching of this information.  The
names
>> and TTL values would be checked, added, deleted, or have their TTL
values
>> renewed (for example, if their current TTL is half the original, then
>> re-check recipient and update values).  I was thinking that this would
save
>> the effort of checking every recipient real-time, but also allow for
>> automatic updating of the recipients, without having to rely that the
>> destination server is always available.

Maybe I'm missing the point, but is this not duplicating functionality
that exists in sendmail?

Properly configured accessdb/virusertable/aliases will achieve exactly
this.

> I think this is a very good idea. Since the file might grow quite large
> on some systems, this could also be expanded upon to allow multiple
> storage formats (flat text file, sql via DBI, dbm files, ldap, etc)
> which would allow for faster queries if needed. You could also provide
> "none" as a storage, and have every check done fresh.

Sendmail accessdb/virtusertable/aliases can be configured for flat text
file,
sql, dbm, ldap, etc, for real-time support of large active/whitelist/user
lists.

It also support dynamic refresh via (newaliases/makemap).

The trick is extracting a active/white/user list from your backend system
and formatting it into accessdb/virtusertable/aliases.

Alberto