[Mimedefang] Using Spamassassin's spamd/c

listuser at neo.pittstate.edu listuser at neo.pittstate.edu
Tue Oct 15 11:05:01 EDT 2002

On Mon, 14 Oct 2002, Jim McCullars wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Oct 2002 listuser at neo.pittstate.edu wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to figure out how to make mimedefang use SA's spamd/spamc.  I
>
>    The Boss says don't do that:
>
> http://lists.roaringpenguin.com/pipermail/mimedefang/2002-August/002027.html

Ah...  I hadn't seen that message.  That looks doable.  I'll try setting
it up the way he indicated and see how it works.

> > I understand that using SA with MD prevents a lot of SA features from
> > working.  The way I understand it, no SA config files are read when SA is
> > run for MD and the MD SA config files are greatly limited in what actually
> > works.  If any one can speak to this, I'd appreciate it.  I'm not sure
> > what all I'm missing out on.
>
>    The default SA rules files are read.  If you want to use local rules
> (like to whitelist someone), mimedefang.pl looks in the following places:
>
> 	/usr/local/etc/mimedefang/spamassassin/sa-mimedefang.cf
> 	/usr/local/etc/mimedefang/spamassassin/local.cf
> 	/usr/local/etc/mimedefang/spamassassin.cf

I was wondering what the difference was with those files.  So if I run SA
from MD I should edit the specific SA files that MD provided.  I can do
that.

> Using SA under MD will prevent any SA feature that wants to change the
> message, from working.  That's why the code in mimedefang-filter is there
> to put in the X-Spam-Score: header - because SA can't do that if running
> under MD.  All it can do is assign a score.

I believe I'd heard that before.  I don't really want or need SA to edit
my file if MD can write the report and headers for me.

I was under the impression that SA's DNSBl checks didn't work when run
from MD.  I could be wrong though.  I never checked to see if it was true.
I'll enable querylog today and see if my DNS box is being queried for
those lists.

I was also thinking that Razor didn't work when run from MD.  I should
probably check these things.

Many thanks for the info!
 Justin