[Mimedefang] Server load

Karel.DeBruyne at ua.ac.be Karel.DeBruyne at ua.ac.be
Fri Oct 11 03:00:01 EDT 2002

All these messages about server load, but nobody tells us what else these
servers do.

My server is a Sun E450 with dual processors and 1GB RAM
At times this machine has got a very high load (4-8)
This machine is processing about 20k of mails/day.

But this server is our imap/pop server too...

Karel

On Thu, 10 Oct 2002, Steve Hanson wrote:

> Likewise - at University of Wisconsin River Falls we're running
> about 30k emails per day through a
> dual-processor 1.1gig P3 with a gig of ram.  We're also using
> uvscan for virus scanning, which is really inefficient. The
> system hardly even breaks a sweat except for during waves of
> spam, when it sometime runs as much as 30% busy for a while.
> We're also running between 30 and 50% spam depending on who is
> trying to sell stuff to students that week.
>
> Jason Abbott wrote:

Karel De Bruyne
System/Network Manager                      phone      + 32 3 820 22 04
UIA - Network Service                       fax        + 32 71 83 43 00
Universiteitsplein 1 - B0.12                email  dbruyne at uia.ua.ac.be
B 2610 Wilrijk - Belgium              http://www.uia.ua.ac.be/u/dbruyne