[Mimedefang] When to restart?

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Thu Oct 3 17:48:01 EDT 2002

>    When, and how, should one restart MD?  Obviously whenever I make changes to
>my mimedefang-filter, MD would need to be restarted.  The same goes if I change
>my sendmail .mc files, but what about making changes to sa-mimedefang.cf ?

Hrmm.. is it that obvious?  MimeDefang's mimedefang-filter file gets
read by every slave.  If you alter the mimedefang-filter file, as slaves
die off and new ones get fired up, those new ones will make use of the
changes in the mimedefang-filter file.  Of course, if you want an
instant change, yes, you have to restart MD.

>Should MD be restarted then too?  And what's the best way to restart the whole
>shebang?  Right now I have my init script rigged up so that it starts MD then
>sendmail in sequence.  When shutting down it does it in reverse order.  I don't
>think I have to go through the full motion if all I did was make a change to
>either the sa-mimedefang, or mimedefang-filter files, or do I?

I never really do anymore.  I used to when I was making drastic changes
to my filters, but now things are only tweaks.  The only time the whole
thing gets restarted is for a shutdown/reboot now-a-days, and that is rare.

-Rich