[Mimedefang] Virus Notifications

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Thu Nov 28 09:15:00 EST 2002

On Thu, 28 Nov 2002 jshearer at netguy.org wrote:

> One question:  I'm using the McAfee 'eicar.com' virus to trip the scanner.
>  The recipient receives an instant message, but the Admin and Sender
> (replying - I have read the threads and agree bouncing is not good)
> receive their responses some time later - up to a hour later.  How is that
> response time configured?  Or is something wrong with my installation?

MIMEDefang sends messages using the "deferred" mode of Sendmail.  Therefore,
the message is actually delivered only when the next clientmqueue or mqueue
queue run is done.  Do not attempt to make MIMEDefang use the "background"
or "interactive" delivery modes to send messages---this will result in
lots of running MIMEDefang slaves and could cause message duplicates in
the worst case if the sender times out.  Sending in deferred mode
serializes the outgoing messages and means 200 viruses arriving all
at once won't kill your machine with 200 simultaneous outgoing sender
notifications.

To shorten the delay, configure your Sendmail to do queue runs more often.